Thursday, March 4, 2010

iTunes Audible.com book review: Game Change

I listen to audio books when running to stave off the sheer boredom (plus, the last thing I need is to be alone with my thoughts).  As such, I have listened to a ton of audio books from audible.com.  The latest one I "read" was Game Change ( http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1779199324.1267747467@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckadejkjdleelcefecekjdffidfji.0&productID=BK_HARP_002102).
This was the best political book that I have ever read.  I really did not understand the 2008 elections until I read this book.  I have a tendency in life to assume that people in high places all have their act together and work each day on some master plan that they are simply executing.  This book, however, certainly proves that my assumption is wrong.  It was amazing to me how poorly some of these politicians managed their campaigns.  My favorite parts were: 1) John Edwards pulling Obama aside during a debate to tell him that he needed to bring his A game to take down Clinton; 2) the sheer honesty between Hillary Clinton and President-elect Obama when he offered her the Secretary of State: "I can't control my husband"; 3) Palin's debate prep: Lieberman prays with her after her meltdown; 4) McCain's disasterous response to the Lehman Brothers collapse, demanding a WH meeting in which he says nothing and even Bush wonders why he wanted to cancel the Presidential debate for this; 5) Palin's convention speech after her teleprompter broke. 

Run: 3 miles
Swim: 1 mile
Bike: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment